Avocado Green Curry & Sweet Basil Shrimp
Avocado Green Curry with Sweet Basil Shrimp – this recipe is a crowd favorite because of the sweet and spicy flavors with each delectable bite. This is 1 of 5 recipes from my Avocado Week recipe round up. Check out more delicious avocado recipes below.
If the best of Mexican food and Thai Food had a baby it would probably look something like this. This was actually inspired by a restaurant I used to go to in San Diego that served an Avocado Green Curry. I remember seeing the dish on the menu and thinking I must have died and gone to heaven. After the first time I tried it I was hooked. Every time I went to the restaurant I ordered the same thing from that day on.
So when I had the grand idea to do an avocado recipe round-up, figuring out how to develop this recipe was at the very top of my list. And it definitely hasn’t disappointed. I could live in this bowl, swim in it every day of summer, bathe in it every night. It’s that good.
Avocado Green Curry
- 1 large ripe avocado divided in half
- 1 15 oz can coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped asparagus
- ¾ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons of green curry paste
- 2½ tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
Sweet Mint Basil Shrimp Ingredients
- ½ pound of shrimp de-shelled and deveined
- ½ cup basil leaves
- ¼ cup mint
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 green onion stalks
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- sliced jalapeno
- sliced red onion
- cilantro leaves
- lime wedges
To Make Curry
- Cut the avocado in half and remove from skin. In the food processor combine coconut milk, ½ of the avocado, curry paste, honey, garlic, fish sauce and blend until smooth. Add in cilantro and blend until fine. Set the curry sauce aside.
- Add vegetable oil to large pan on medium high heat. Add in asparagus and green bell pepper and saute for 3- 5 minutes until the vegetables start to get tender but are still crisp. Sprinkle salt, pepper and lime juice over the top of the vegetables.
- Add in the curry sauce to the pan and bring to a light simmer, then reduce to low heat. Chop the second half of the avocado into chunks and stir them into the curry.
To make Sweet Basil Mint Shrimp
- Put all the herbs and vegetables in a food processor (reserving only the honey and onion powder to be added at the end). Pulse ingredients until they are finely minced. Remove the blade and add in honey and onion powder and stir until mixed in and a paste is formed.
- Brush the basil mint paste on each side of the shrimp and make sure that the herbs stick to the sides.
- Heat up oil on high in a separate saute pan. Once hot, add in shrimp cooking for about 1½ minutes on side 1 and 1 minute on side 2. Remove from heat, place on paper towel and sprinkle with salt.
- Scoop curry into a bowl and place shrimp on top. And serve warm. You can also garnish with sliced jalapeno, sliced red onion, cilantro leaves, lime wedges and/or additional chopped avocado.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.
**The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.