This Breakfast Pizza with Sausage is the perfect way to change up your morning routine. It’s quick, easy, and delicious – perfect for foodies on the go! The best part is that you can customize it however you want. No matter how you make it, this pizza will start your day off right.
THIS RECIPE IS SPONSORED BY
Never met a pizza I didn’t like, but I was a little stunned at the concept of breakfast pizza when I was first introduced. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve eaten cold pizza for breakfast, still do. But it wasn’t until I moved to Minneapolis that I had my first slice of pizza with eggs, bacon, and sausage.
The concept of breakfast on a pizza was so foreign, but in Minny, it was all the craze. Soon enough, I was just as hype and enjoying it on a regular because what’s not to love about bread, cheese, eggs, and meat. That’s why this breakfast pizza with sausage is the perfect addition to your morning rotation.
What You’ll Need
Let’s talk about the key ingredients you’ll need to make this mouth-watering sausage breakfast pizza.
- Pizza Crust: Using store-bought pizza crust makes this breakfast pizza recipe super quick and easy.
- Pesto Sauce: You can use your favorite brand of pesto or make your own homemade pesto sauce instead. If you have the time, I highly recommend that you make it from scratch—leftover pesto works great with a variety of dishes!
- Eggs: What would a breakfast pizza be without eggs? Pasture-raised eggs tend to be the most flavorful and nutrient-rich, but any fresh eggs will work fine.
- Sausage Links: Crumbled sausage adds a ton of rich, hearty flavor and protein to this satisfying breakfast recipe. You can also use bacon crumbles if preferred.
- Cheese: I love using a combination of mozzarella and parmesan for plenty of delicious cheesy flavor.
- Veggies: Thinly sliced red onions and red bell peppers add a beautiful pop of color, vibrant flavor, and a nice crunch to this breakfast pizza.
- Maple Syrup: This is the secret to taking this dish to the next level. When mixed with the herby pesto sauce, maple syrup adds the perfect touch of sweetness.
How to Make Breakfast Pizza
Ready to make the best breakfast egg pizza? All you have to do is follow the easy steps below.
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray the baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Add pizza dough and shape to fit the baking sheet.
Step 2: Stir together pesto sauce and maple syrup in a small bowl. Then, brush 1 tablespoon of the pesto sauce evenly over all the pizza dough.
Step 3: Bake in the oven for 8 minutes.
Step 4: In a medium bowl, blend mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Then, evenly spread ¼ cup of cheese blend over the cooked pizza crust.
Step 5: Evenly add the red pepper, breakfast sausage crumbles, ½ the red onions, and crack an egg inside each bell pepper. Sprinkle each egg with salt and pepper. Sprinkle cheese and red onion over the top.
Step 6: Bake for 13 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.
Step 7: Remove the pizza from the oven and drizzle any remaining pesto-syrup over the top of the pizza. Cut pizza and serve warm.
Here are the answers to some of the most common questions about this bacon egg and cheese sandwich recipe:
Is Breakfast Pizza Healthy?
This breakfast pizza recipe with eggs is loaded with protein, fiber, and nutrients for a well-balanced meal. If you’re following a specific diet, you can easily make swaps to ensure that it suits your dietary needs.
For example, try swapping out the pizza crust for a gluten-free pizza crust to make this breakfast pizza gluten-free. For a keto-friendly breakfast pizza with sausage, use a keto-friendly pizza crust instead. If you’re looking to avoid dairy, simply leave out the eggs and swap the cheese for a plant-based cheese alternative.
Breakfast Pizza Toppings & Variations
Want to know why people love pizza so much? It’s because pizza is one of the most versatile foods on the planet! There are tons of ways to switch up this dish to make it your own. Here are some of my favorite breakfast pizza toppings and variations to try.
- Breakfast Meats: Crumbled or chopped bacon, ham, ground beef, or ground turkey sausage.
- Cheese: Gruyere, feta, pepper jack, cheddar, or goat cheese.
- Vegetables: Shredded potatoes, mushrooms, green onions, sliced tomatoes, or jalapenos.
- Scrambled Eggs: Instead of cracking the eggs into the bell peppers, try whisking them with the pesto sauce and maple syrup for a soft, fluffy scrambled eggs pizza base.
- Vegan Breakfast Pizza: Swap the meat and cheese for your favorite plant-based alternatives, and leave out the eggs.
- Breakfast Pizza with Gravy: Leave out the pesto and use your favorite gravy instead for the ultimate breakfast pizza for gravy lovers.
What’s The Best Pizza Crust To Use?
Any quality store-bought pizza crust should work well for this dish. The goal is to find something sturdy enough to hold all of your toppings without breaking apart or getting soggy. I prefer to use Pillsbury canned pizza crust because it’s incredibly easy to use, but feel free to choose your favorite for this breakfast pizza with sausage.
More Healthy Breakfast Recipes You’ll Love
If you liked this breakfast pizza with sausage, try these recipes next:
- Blueberry Lemon Pancakes
- Sunshine Clementine Smoothie Bowl
- Chocolate Waffle Sandwich
- Breakfast Burrito Bowl
- Blackberry Kefir Smoothie
Now it’s your turn!
So, if you’re looking for a quick and easy breakfast that will give you sustained energy throughout the morning, this breakfast pizza is perfect for you. I can’t wait to hear what you think of this delicious breakfast dish – be sure to leave me a comment after you try it out. Enjoy!
If you enjoy the recipe, please share it with your friends and family. And don’t forget to give me some five-star love down below. And if you have any comments or questions, leave them below too, and I’ll be sure to get back to you as soon as possible.
- 1 (13.8 oz) can refrigerated pizza crust
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons pesto sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan
- ¼ small red onion sliced thin
- 1 red bell pepper sliced thin
- 4 breakfast sausage links crumbled
- 6 large eggs
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt divided
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper divided
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley chopped small
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray the baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Add pizza dough and shape to fit the baking sheet.
- In a small bowl stir together pesto sauce and maple syrup.
- Brush 1 tablespoon of pesto sauce evenly over all the pizza dough.
- Bake in the oven for 8 minutes.
- In a medium bowl blend mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Evenly spread ¼ cup of cheese blend over pizza crust.
- Evenly add the red pepper, breakfast sausage crumbles, ½ the red onions, and crack an egg inside each bell pepper.
- Sprinkle each egg with salt and pepper. Sprinkle cheese and red onion over the top.
- Bake for 13 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and drizzle any remaining pesto-syrup over the top of the pizza. Cut pizza and serve warm.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.
**The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.