Get into these corn fritters. It’s a CORN-A-EXTRAVAGANZA Baaaby!!! They’re crisp on the outside and their insides are soft, pillowy, and packed with bursts of sweet roasted corn and scallions. This corn fritters recipe is the perfect flex for leftover corn.
To make these mouthwatering corn fritters, you will need the following key ingredients:
- Corn. I recommend using fresh ears of corn, but you can use canned or frozen corn if needed. If using frozen corn, make sure to thaw it out first.
- All-purpose flour. This helps our corn fritters get extra crispy. Feel free to swap this out for gluten-free all-purpose flour if needed.
- Olive oil. Adding olive oil to the batter gives it a richer texture and a crispier finish.
- Sparkling water. My secret weapon! The bubbles in sparkling water create air pockets in the batter that give it a lighter texture.
- Scallions. This is a popular addition to fried foods for its delicious flavor and freshness that contrasts wonderfully with the heavier ingredients.
How to Make Corn Fritters
Not only is this dish crazy delicious, but it’s also incredibly easy to make! Follow these simple steps on how to make corn fritters:
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, add the egg, oil, and sparkling water. Mix until well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth. Then, fold in the corn and scallions to combine.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with paper towels, then set aside.
- Heat a large frying pan or skillet over medium-high heat and add vegetable oil until it covers ½ inch of the pan.
- Once the oil reaches a temperature of 365°F, drop 2-tablespoon portions of batter into the hot oil, one at a time. After dropping each portion into the oil, flatten it with the back of a spoon. Make sure not to overcrowd the pan.
- Let the fritters cook for 2-3 minutes per side, until they are golden brown.
- Transfer the crispy fritters from the pan onto the lined baking sheet. Repeat the process until all the batter has been used. Serve with spicy crema and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about corn fritters:
Can you freeze corn fritters?
Absolutely. To freeze corn fritters, you will first need to allow them to cool to room temperature. Then, lay them out on a baking sheet and place them in the freezer for about 20 minutes. Once frozen, transfer the fritters to an airtight storage bag or container and freeze them for up to 2 months.
What else can I add to corn fritters?
Anything you want! Some of my favorite options include finely chopped vegetables, shredded cheese, diced jalapenos, and fresh herbs like cilantro or parsley.
Time to get your corn fritter on!
Try this corn fritters recipe with spicy crema and let me know how you like it, OK?
If you enjoy the recipe, please share it with your friends and family. And don’t forget to give me some five-star love down below. And if you have any comments or questions, leave them below too, and I’ll be sure to get back to you as soon as possible.
- 2 ½ cups fresh corn approx 3 ears
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ cup sparkling water
- 1 ½ cups scallions finely chopped
- Vegetable oil
- 1 cup crema Salvadorean/Mexicana or sub sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh scallions minced
- 1 1/2 - 2 tablespoon sriracha hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
To Make Fritters
- In a large bowl mix together dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and pepper. In a separate bowl mix together wet ingredients: egg, oil, and sparkling water. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and whisk until smooth. Fold in corn and scallions into the mix.
- Line rimmed baking sheet with paper towels. Add ½ inch of vegetable oil to a large frying pan or heavy bottom skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once the heat reaches approximately 365 degrees F drop 2-tablespoon portions of batter into hot oil and flatten with the back of a spoon. Do not overcrowd the pan. Let them cook for 2-3 minutes per side or until they are golden brown.
- Remove the crispy fritters from the pan onto a lined sheet pan and repeat the process for the remaining batter.
To Make Spicy Crema
- To a food processor add crema, scallions, sriracha, lime juice, lime zest, kosher salt, and black pepper and blend until smooth.
- If using frozen corn thaw first and dry kernels in a paper towel.
- If your batter is on the wet side, continue adding flour in 1 tablespoon increments, using no more than 1/2 cup of flour. The consistency of the batter should be moist, but more vegetable than batter.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.
**The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.