Double Cheese Shredded Chicken Chili will warm every cheese lover’s heart. Made with a thick roux base, delicious pulled chicken, and a blend of five kinds of cheese. This simmering pot of love warms up any occasion, from Game Day to a heartwarming family meal.
Borden® Cheese has compensated for this blog post. All opinions are mine alone.#BordenCheeseLove #CollectiveBias #Ad
THIS RECIPE IS SPONSORED BY
My name is Meiko, and I am a chili fanatic. I don’t know what it is about a big warm bowl of chili, but I could literally eat it every day. There are so many chili versions that I don’t think I could ever get bored of it. I also love it because if you use your leftovers wisely, you could basically dump them in and have an amazing new dish.
As a matter of fact, a few weeks ago, I made a bunch of spaghetti and had a ton of leftover meat sauce. I hate to waste, so I added a few clutch ingredients and magically turned it into chili. I’m being a bit dramatic because there is clearly no magic involved, but you have to admit that this dish’s ease and versatility is pretty awesome.
So I decided to check out this Fiesta Mart store that I’ve driven by a hundred times. I thought maybe a new store would give me so new inspiration, and it worked. This week I made a new recipe I like to call Double Cheese Shredded Chicken Chili. Sounds delicious right? IT IS!
I always start my chili with a roux. I know this is not a very common practice, but I think it adds deeper flavor and thickens the batch. I basically heat my oil, add in flour and toast it until it reaches a caramel brown. Then I literally dump all the remaining ingredients and let the pot simmer so that all the flavors meld together.
Also, I added cooked chopped chicken, which easily pulled apart as the chili cooked down. Next, I added in the LOOOOOOOOVE, which for me is just a code for BRING ON CHEESE.😍 😍 😍
This chili was made to be full of LOVE and extra cheesy, so while at Fiesta Mart, I raided their large variety of Borden® Cheese. I narrowed in on Borden® Cheese Finely Shredded Four Cheese Mexican Shreds and Borden® Cheese Mozzarella String Cheese to achieve the “ooey gooey-ness” that I was looking for. You can find where varieties of Borden® Cheeses are sold nearest to you by using their nifty store locator link.
Ok, so I chopped up the string cheese into small chunks and submerged them into the batch of chili. Then, upon serving, I added a healthy helping of the shredded cheese to the top and heated the bowl in the microwave for an extra 35 seconds to get it all melted.
The outcome was this amazing bowl of deliciousness. I’m telling you, this is what food memories are made of; heart-warming bowls of love that you enjoy with your family (friends + family 😊). This new recipe is definitely going to be a recurring staple in my chili rotation.
More Winter Comfort Recipes
- Grandma’s Old Fashioned Vegetable Beef Soup
- Smoky Beef & Tomato Soup
- Lemony Southern Style Posole
- Vegan Curry Butternut Squash Soup
Now It’s Your Turn
Let me know what your favorite type of chili is below. I would highly recommend giving it five stars if you make it. Be sure to take a photo and tag @meikoandthedish on Instagram too! Enjoy!
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 15 oz cans dark kidney beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 4 oz can diced jalapeño peppers
- 1 tablespoon Louisiana style hot sauce
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 3½ lbs cooked skinless chicken, cut into medium chunks
- 3 Borden® Cheese Mozzarella String Cheese chopped ½ inch segments
- 1 8 oz pack Borden® Cheese Finely Shredded Four Cheese Mexican Shreds
- green onion for garnish chopped
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the seasoning blend ingredients and set aside.
- In a heavy large pot, heat oil on medium. Add in flour and whisk continuously until the flour reaches a caramel brown.
- Add in diced onion and bell peppers, and cook while covered for five minutes. Then add in chicken stock, kidney beans, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, canned tomatoes, canned jalapeños, hot sauce, seasoning blend and stir well. Cook covered for 5 minutes.
- Use wooden spoon to scrape the bits on the bottom of the pot and stir. Stir in chicken and garlic, and reduce heat to low. Cook for 30 minutes covered.
- Add in and submerge chopped mozzarella string cheese evenly spaced throughout the pot of chili. Increase heat to medium and cover the pot to allow the cheese to melt for 7-10 minutes.
- Ladle chili into a large bowls and top with a generous portion of Borden® Cheese Finely Shredded Four Cheese Mexican Shreds and green onion. Serve warm.
- Note: To get ooey gooey melted cheese on top of chili add bowl to the microwave on high for 20 seconds, then serve.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.
**The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
12 thoughts on “Double Cheese Shredded Chicken Chili”
That chili sounds delicious. I love the hidden pockets of cheese in it! #client
Thank you Michelle!
oooh girl! that looks so good! Mmm, where did my fork go…
At what point in the recipe do you add the spices to the chili? I have read the recipe a couple of times and cannot seem to find when it needs to be added.
Hey Lisa – thanks so much for pointing this out. The seasoning is added in with the vegetables. I updated the recipe post. I hope you enjoy it!
How many servings does this recipe make? Is 5000 calories the whole recipe!
Hey YvonneZ! Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention. I’ve updated the recipe which produces 6-8 bowls of chili. Thanks again!
Does the seasoning blend include a total of 2 teaspoons of black pepper????
1 teaspoon only. Good catch. I’ll fix the recipe now. Thanks for letting me know.
I made this recipe last night (replaced the chicken with shredded roasted chicken) and it’s INCREDIBLE. I skipped the cheese part and just put shredded cheese on top, and it’s still amazing. This is definitely being added to the regular rotation.
Melanie, I just love that you made the recipe your own and I’m so happy that you enjoyed it. Thank you for leaving a comment!