Lemony Southern Style Posole
You all know that phrase, “when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.” This proverbial message was the crust and namesake of Beyonce’s visual album Lemonade. Many have shared their opinions on the artistic nature of the video, the exposed cheating in the lyrics, the credibility of Beyonce as a figure of empowerment, all the way down to conversations about the videos “plantation chic” fashion. I decided to chart a different course and share my opinions on her grandma’s actual lemonade recipe in this week’s newsletter. My feelings are pretty strong on this matter so make sure you watch the video.
In addition, I explored what other recipes you could and should be making when life hands you lemons. Check out all 6 of my lemon inspired recipes below.
- 2 cups chopped turkey meat 2 smoked turkey legs
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 cups mustard greens chopped
- 1 28 oz can hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 4oz can diced green chilis
- In a large pot bring broth to a rolling boil. Add all ingredients and reduce the heat to medium low and simmer, uncovered, until the onions are tender.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.
**The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.