A simple salty sweet treat that is down right addicting. Saltine crackers coated with caramel and chocolate and topped with minty candies to bring in the Christmas flavor. After on bite you won’t be able to put them down.
What is saltine toffee?
Also known as cracker toffee and Christmas crack, the saltine toffee is a delicious candy made with a thin crisp cracker sprinkled with salt. It often comes topped with a layer of chocolate and chopped nuts.
How long do saltine crackers last?
When properly stored in an airtight container and kept at room temperature, saltine toffee can last up to 6 to 9 months.
Toppings: Tips for making saltine toffee your own
Typically, the saltine toffee is decorated with nuts, but there is no hard and fast rule. You can top the crack candy with white chocolate chips, dusted cinnamon, mini M&Ms, crushed Oreos, pumpkin pie slices, sprinkles, etc. It is not just toppings that you can get creative with; you can also use graham crackers instead of saltine crackers.
How to refresh and crispen-up stale saltine crackers?
You can crispen old saltines with the help of an oven or a microwave. In the oven, preheat the appliance to 400°F, spread crackers on a cookie sheet/baking pan, and bake them for 3-5 minutes till they start to turn golden brown. In a microwave, put the stale crackers for about 10-15 seconds.
- 40 saltine crackers
- 1 cup butter 2 sticks
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup Andes Crème de Menthe Thins roughly chopped
- ¾ cup peppermint candy finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line a 15” x 10” x 1” pan with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Line up crackers in a single layer in rows on foil and set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt butter and brown sugar in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 to 3 minutes (270 to 290 degrees if using a candy thermometer). Immediately pour over crackers and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Bake 5 minutes or until the candy hardens (300 to 310 degrees if using a candy thermometer). Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate chips in the microwave in 30-second increments at 50% power until melted. Spread over hardened caramel.
- Sprinkle candy (chopped Andes and Peppermints) evenly over the top and press into the chocolate using a spatula.
- Let cool in the freezer for 25 minutes then break into pieces and serve.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.
**The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.