Spicy Mango Chicken Sausage Tacos with Blackberry and Cucumber Salsa
What a week! So if you didn’t read my previous blog post I will catch you up on the week’s festivities. After being swept away by the Kendrick Lamar Grammy performance I decided to restructure my content and recipe development this week to pay homage to his song “The Blacker The Berry”. As a result blackberries took the spotlight this week and boy did they shine in these four new recipes.
I’m a huge fan of tacos; they are probably the one food type that I east most often out of anything else. I love coming up with new taco combinations, so using tacos for this challenge was right up my alley. For this occasion, I used Aidells Spicy Mango with Jalapeno sausage and topped it with bright blackberry and cucumber salsa.
- Taco Ingredients
- 2 Aidells Spicy Mango w/ Jalapeno Smoked Chicken Sausage can alternate with chicken apple sausage, chopped
- 2 flour tortillas wheat or white
- 2 ½ tablespoons Mexican crema can alternate with sour cream
- ¾ cup red cabbage chopped
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- pinch tajin classic seasoning
- blackberry salsa
Blackberry Salsa Ingredients
- 1¼ cups sliced blackberries
- ¼ cup cucumber peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 1 tablespoon red onion minced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon grape jelly melted (can alternate with honey)
- 1 teaspoon habanero chopped and deseeded
- salt to taste
- In a bowl mix all salsa ingredients then refrigerate.
- Put olive oil in pan on medium high heat. When hot add in red cabbage and stir occasionally. Cook cabbage until the edges start to char and get crispy, about 5-7 minutes, then remove from heat.
- In pan, cook sausage on medium high heat (5-7 minutes) and heat tortillas until soft and pliable.
- To layer taco, put chicken sausage on tortilla first; followed by the crispy cabbage and top with blackberry cucumber salsa. Drizzle crema over the top and serve.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.
**The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.