Servings: 4 people
- Cajun oil:
- ½ cup grapeseed oil
- ¼ yellow onion diced (½ cup)
- ½ red bell pepper diced (⅓ cup)
- 2 stalks of celery diced (½ cup)
- 2 ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper Flakes
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon cumin pinch
- Roasted mushrooms:
- 1 1/2 lbs Assorted mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil
- 6 garlic cloves smashed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 6 Fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- Grits KC’s recipe:
- 2 ½ cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup stone-ground grits
- kosher salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- ½ cup green onions sliced
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley finely chopped
Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes to get hot. Adding onion, celery, and bell pepper until all moisture is cooked out approximately 5 minutes.
Stir in all spices and reduce heat to medium-low for 3 minutes
Stir in oil and let simmer until it reaches 200-degree temp and then remove from the heat and set aside.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
In a large bowl, combine the sliced mushrooms, olive oil, garlic, kosher, cajun seasoning, salt, pepper, thyme sprigs.
Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Roast in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
When the mushrooms are golden and cooked, remove the thyme sprigs.
Bring water, cream, salt and butter to a boil. Whisk in grits for approx 5 minutes, reduce heat to low and cover for 10-15 minutes.
After grits reach your desired consistency add additional salt and pepper to taste.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.
**The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.