Spicy Coca-Cola Party Wings! These bad boys will be the life of any party; crispy oven-baked chicken wings slathered in a sweet and spicy Cola-Cola based sauce.
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and The Coca-Cola Company. All opinions are mine alone. #DGUnitedByFootball #CollectiveBias
I grew up in San Diego, where a true tailgate meant barbecuing outdoors in front of a football stadium. However, while living in the Midwest for the last 5 years, I’ve learned very quickly that having a controlled climate indoors to cheer on our team is the much better way to go. Might I say it takes a very special breed of people to cheer for their team in below zero cold gleefully; needless to say, I am not that person.
With that being said, I’ve grown quite accustomed to having people over for a bit of indoor tailgating. Last weekend I invited a couple of friends over to watch the playoffs. Fortunately, this blog is not about the outcome of those games; my heart was broken twice in one day.
Even with not so victorious outcomes, we had an amazing spread to cheer us up. To really get everyone in a spirited mood, I went to the Dollar General around the corner for some affordable football decorations. While shopping, I came across the cutest 6 packs of Coca-Cola in the glass bottles. I was pleasantly surprised because I had no idea you could find those there. Call me crazy, but for some reason, glass Coco-Cola bottles just make the drink taste better to me. I know, I know.
Ooooh Oooh Oooh, and I can’t forget to tell you that I downloaded the Dollar General app and instantly got a redeemable coupon for my purchase. SCORE!!! So obviously, I had to grab a couple of packs of those to share with the crew; you can’t have a tailgate without Coca-Cola. Plus, it inspired me to make these deliciously Spicy Coca-Cola Party Wings that are super easy to make.
AWESOME COOKING TIP ALERT: So I started the recipe by tossing my party wings in a light coating of baking powder and seasonings. The baking powder gives oven-baked chicken a nice crispy skin that is perfect for drowning in sauces.
While the chicken baked, I made a deliciously sweet and spicy Coca-Cola glaze that I reduced for 25 minutes to get a silky thick sauce.
Once the chicken wings were done, I immediately tossed them in the sauce and served them warm. VOILA! The wings were a hit and more than made up for losses that I adamantly said I wouldn’t be talking about but somehow keep bringing up. LOL.
Anywho, I’d love to hear how you celebrate game day at home? Leave a comment below and check out the inspiration for our game day events here!
How to cut chicken wings?
Although this recipe can be achieved with whole or cut wings if you prefer wingettes, here are some helpful tips for cutting your whole wings. It’s best to use poultry shears or your sharpest knife. On your cutting board, flip the wing over and examine to find the joints. You will need to cut through the joint between the drum and the flapper.
How to make oven-baked wings crispy?
The key to making baked wings crispy is baking powder. Toss the wings in a light coating of baking powder and seasonings. The baking powder gives oven-baked chicken a nice crispy skin. Thank me later, and of course, you’re welcome!
Can frozen pre-cooked, grilled, or rotisserie wings be used?
Most definitely. However, make sure to thaw your wings before cooking. Using grilled or rotisserie wings could give additional flavor to your dish. Yum! Using pre-cooked wings is a great way to revive leftovers. Just be prepared for a possible change in the flavor profile.
What else can the Coca-Cola Glaze be used on?
This same Coca-Cola glazed can be used on your holiday ham, ribs, or even used as a dipping sauce. You can virtually use it on anything you’d like a sweet sticky sauce on.
Best way to reheat leftover Spicy Coca-Cola Party Wings?
You can reheat these bad boys in the microwave or the oven. The main thing is trying not to overheat. This will dry them out.
Oven-baked Chicken Wings
- 4 lbs drummettes & flats chicken dried & room temperature
- 1½ tablespoon baking powder
- ½ tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 cup coca-cola
- 2 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- ½ cup sweet spicy chilli sauce
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and preheat oven 450°F. Line inside of a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set a wire rack in it. Generously spray it with vegetable spray. Use paper or kitchen towel to dry wings to get the wings as dry as possible. The dryer the wings the crispier the skin. Wings should be room temperature.
- In a small bowl mix together well the baking powder, salt, onion powder, black pepper and cayenne pepper with a whisk. In batches, place wings in a separate large bowl, sprinkle with seasoning mixture and toss until evenly coated. Repeat this process until all wings are coated and place on wire rack evenly spread out. Add wings to preheated oven and cook for 20 minutes. Flip wings and continue to cook another 20-25 minutes or until crispy.
- While wings are cooking dump glaze ingredients into a medium sauce pan on medium heat. Once the glaze reaches a boil stir consistently for 1 minute. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes and stir occasionally (every 2-3 minutes).
- Once chicken wings have reached a crisp golden brown remove from the oven and add wings to an extra large bowl. Pour glaze over the wings and toss and top with chives and red pepper flakes. Serve warm.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.
**The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.