Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Quiche with Potato Chip Crust recipe is savory and delicious. Its fluffy egg custard is a combination of mozzarella, caramelized onions & mushrooms flavored with balsamic vinegar, seasoned with Italian seasoning, and garlic powder.
I created the Onion and Mushroom Quiche recipe from caramelized onions, mushrooms, and potato chips, leftover from a burger recipe I made the night before. Honestly? When I started prepping and cooking the quiche, I did not expect it to be this tasty. I mean, it was kind of a rebound dish made out of leftovers that I just didn’t want to waste.
This Onion and Mushroom Quiche recipe is a pleasant surprise that I want to share with you. You will so fall in love with the crunchy and creamy flavor of this dish!
Ingredients for onion and mushroom quiche?
Quiche is a delicious and savory French tart that can be enjoyed for breakfast or any time of the day, for that matter. Traditionally its base is made with eggs and cream and baked in a pie shell. The egg custard filling may also contain vegetables, cheese, meat, or seafood.
However, this onion and mushroom quiche is not your typical quiche using a blend of potato chips and crackers as its crust. While the egg custard contains mozzarella, hearty caramelized red onions, mushrooms and flavored with balsamic vinegar, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder.
What types of onions to use in onion and mushroom quiche?
This caramelized onion and mushroom quiche calls for a large red onion. Red onions have a mild and sweet taste. Because red onions have high sugar content, they caramelize beautifully when sauteéd.
What type of mushroom to use in onion and mushroom quiche?
Button mushrooms or cremini mushrooms are recommended for this caramelized onion and mushroom recipe. Though these two types of mushrooms look different, they are the same type of mushroom, just at different maturity stages. Raw both are mild in flavor, but when cooked or sautéd, a richer flavor is unveiled.
How to make potato chip crust?
First, you’ll need to bring out the food processor! Add your potato chips pulse until they turn into a fine crumble, then pour your chips into a large mixing bowl. Now add crackers to the food processor, pulse into a fine crumble, and pour into the bowl with the chips. Whisk to mix the dry ingredients together. Pour your melted butter into your chip and cracker mix and stir. Now transfer your mixture into a lightly oiled tart pan. Press and mold your mixture into the tart pan. Prebake your crust in the oven for 10 minutes, then remove it from the oven and allow it to cool.
How to make quiche?
I sautéd onions and mushrooms with a splash of balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder for this recipe. In a medium bowl whisk eggs, egg whites, milk, and heavy cream. Whisk until the mixture is thoroughly combined and is a mellow yellow color. Now it’s time to layer your filling into the tart pan with the potato chip crust. Add a layer of feta, then the sautéd onions and mushrooms, top with mozzarella cheese, and lastly, pour your egg mixture evenly across the top.
How to store quiche and reheat it?
Seal the quiche with plastic wrap and aluminum foil before refrigerating to prevent sogginess and keep it fresh for another day. Freeze to preserve longer. To reheat, preheat to 350°F for 15-20 minutes. If the quiche is frozen, allow thawing before you heating.
How long should quiche rest before cutting?
Unless you’re super pinched for time, wait at least 10 minutes before slicing the quiche
- 8-9 oz bag of potato chips
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- 15 crackers saltine or butter
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 1 large red onion sliced
- 1 cup sliced button or crimini mushrooms
- cup heavy cream
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup feta
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 teaspoons olive oil divided
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- pinch garlic powder
- Crust Instructions
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- In a food processor pulse potato chips until they turn into a fine crumble.. Pour chips into a large mixing bowl. Add crackers to the food processor and pulse into a fine crumble and pour into the bowl with the chips. Whisk to mix the dry ingredients together.
- Pour in melted butter and stir.
- Pour mixture into a lightly oiled tart pan (my pan size was 9.75” in diameter)
- Prebake the crust in the oven for 10 minutes then remove from the oven to cool.
- Quiche Filling Instructions
- Preheat oven 350 degrees
- In a large pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium high and add in sliced onions. Sauté the onions for 8 minutes then add in balsamic vinegar. Reduce heat to low and cover for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and place onions in a bowl.
- In the same pan on medium, heat the last teaspoon of olive and add in the mushrooms. Sauté mushrooms for 10 minutes or until all liquid as evaporated.
- Add the onions back into the pan and add in salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk eggs, egg whites, milk and heavy cream.
- Take the tart pan with the potato chip crust and add in a layer of feta. Top this with the onion and mushroom mixture. Add on top the final layer of mozzarella cheese and then pour the egg mixture across the top.
- Place tart pan on baking sheet and bake in the oven for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let the quiche cool for 10 minutes before serving,
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.
**The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.