Fresh homemade pesto sauce will add a burst of flavor to almost any dish. I keep a jar of pesto in my fridge year-round.
How long will homemade pesto sauce stay fresh?
This easy and delicious pesto sauce will last for up to 5 days in an airtight container or mason jar.
What is a good substitute for pine nuts?
If there’s a pine nut shortage by chance, you can try almonds, walnuts, pistachios, or even sunflower seeds. Whichever nut or seed you choose, be sure to toast them to maximize the flavor.
How to thicken pesto sauce?
The easiest way to thicken your pesto sauce is to add cornstarch. In a small bowl, start with 1 tablespoon cornstarch and add an equal amount of cold water or vegetable broth. Mix until it becomes a smooth paste; this is called a slurry. Whisk in a little at a time as in not to over thicken your pesto sauce.
What can pesto sauce be serviced on or with?
Pesto is exceptionally versatile. You can use it on pasta, in appetizers, slather on a french baguette, on pizza, and even in salads. It can even be used as a marinade.
How to freeze homemade pesto sauce?
Ok, so this is one of the simplest ways I’ve found to freeze pesto sauce. Pour the pesto into an ice cube tray and place in the freezer for about 2 hours. Remove the frozen pesto cubes, store them in a freezer bag, and place the bag back into the freezer.
More Recipe Ideas
- Cashew Crusted Salmon with Pesto and Honey
- Spaghetti with Pink Pasta Sauce (Beet Pesto Pasta)
- Easy Mango Habanero Hot Sauce
- Homemade Cranberry Sauce
- 1½ cup packed basil
- ¼ cup parmesan
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic roasted
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread nuts evenly on a rimmed baking sheet along with garlic gloves; toast in oven until golden about 5 minutes.
- Combine basil, grated parmesan, lemon juice, salt, pepper, roasted pine nuts and garlic cloves in a blender and with the motor running drizzle in olive oil. Blend until sauce is smooth.
- Store and refrigerate pesto sauce in an airtight container.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.
**The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.