Italian Sausage & Quinoa Stuffed Avocados
Italian Sausage & Quinoa Stuffed Avocados – these tasty avocados are packed with Italian chicken sausage, quinoa, roasted red bell peppers and parmesan cheese. This is one of 5 recipes in my avocado week recipe round up. Check out more delicious avocado recipes below.AVOCADO … QUINOA … avocado and quinoa … need I say more? I have to admit this was a total pantry raid recipe. While scouring my cupboards I pulled out what I had and came up with this amazing version of a stuffed avocado. I used Italian chicken sausage but you could use whatever your little heart desires. If you love Mediterranean flavors this is a recipe is sure to satisfy your cravings and fill you up.
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 sweet Jeannie-O sweet Italian turkey sausages casing removed
- ½ cup quinoa
- ¼ cup marinated sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- ¼ cup marinated artichoke hearts chopped
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ freshly grated or shaved parmesan
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven 375 degrees.
- Cook quinoa according to packaged instructions. [I prepared my quinoa by bringing 1 cup of water and ½ cup of quinoa to a boil in a medium saucepan. Then, I reduce the heat to low, covered and simmered until it was tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes]. Once cooked add salt, pepper and garlic powder and fluffed with a fork.
- Cut the sausages lengthwise down the center. There should be an outer casing or lining that you can easily remove. Add the meat to a skillet on medium high and brown.
- Slice avocados lengthwise and remove the pit (but leave on in the peel). Using a spoon, cut out an internal perimeter around the avocado halve. Leave some of the flesh attached to the skin (1/4" thick). Scoop out the center perimeter and chop. Set the hallowed shells to the side.
- In a large bowl combine quinoa, sausage, sun-dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, feta and stir until complete mixed. Lightly toss in the chopped avocado, tossing gently if you want them to maintain their shape. Scoop the mixture into the hallowed shells and sprinkle parmesan across the top.
- Place in oven to allow cheese to melt, approximately 10 minutes. Serve warm.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.
**The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.