If you’re an avocado lover such as myself, this Italian Sausage Stuffed Avocados recipe is sure to be a hit. Ripe, creamy avocados stuffed with a mixture of sweet Italian turkey sausage, fluffy quinoa, marinated sun-dried tomatoes & artichoke hearts, and feta cheese, then topped with freshly shaved parmesan cheese.
AVOCADO … QUINOA … avocado and quinoa … need I say more? I have to admit this was a total pantry raid recipe. While scouring my cupboards, I pulled out what I had and came up with this amazing version of a stuffed avocado. I used Jennie-O Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage, but you could use whatever your little heart desires. If you love Mediterranean flavors, this recipe is sure to satisfy your cravings and fill you up!
How to pick a ripe avocado?
First, observe the avocado’s color; ripe avocados have a dark green nearly black skin color. Secondly, a ripe avocado skin texture tends to be a bit bumpy. Lastly, gently squeeze the avocado. It should yield to gentle pressure without leaving indentations or feeling mushy.
What is an Italian sausage made of?
The main ingredients in traditional Italian sausage are pork, fennel or anise, and other seasonings. However, Italian sausage can be made with beef, chicken, turkey, or a meat substitute. In this recipe, I used Jennie-O Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage.
What’s the difference between sweet Italian sausage and mild Italian sausage?
Mild Italian sausage has fennel or anise and parsley along with other seasonings. Sweet Italian sausage has all of those same ingredients, along with sweet basil, giving the sausage a sweet flavor profile. Either would be acceptable in this Italian Sausage Stuffed Avocados recipe.
Substitute for Italian sausage.
If you don’t eat pork or if you’re vegetarian or vegan, don’t fret. There are some great substitutions for traditional Italian Sausage to achieve this stuffed avocado recipe successfully. You can use Italian beef sausage or a meatless Italian sausage-like Aidells, Morningstar, Gardein, etc.
More Creamy Avocado Recipes
- Batido de Aguacate (Avocado Milkshake)
- Homemade Avocado Vinaigrette
- Grilled Avocado & Carne Asada Salad
- Avocado Parmesan Grits
Now It’s Your Turn!
I would highly recommend giving it five stars if you make it. Be sure to take a photo and tag @meikoandthedish on Instagram too! Enjoy!
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 Jennie-O Sweet Italian Turkey Sausages de-cased
- ½ cup quinoa
- ¼ cup marinated sundried tomatoes chopped
- ¼ cup marinated artichoke hearts chopped
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ fresh parmesan grated or shaved
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven 375 degrees.
- Cook quinoa according to packaged instructions. ((I prepared my quinoa by bringing 1 cup of water and ½ cup of quinoa to a boil in a medium saucepan. Then, I reduce the heat to low, covered and simmered until it was tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Finally I added the salt, pepper and garlic powder and fluffed with a fork.)
- Cut the sausages lengthwise down the center. There should be an outer casing or lining that you can easily remove. Add the meat to a skillet on medium high and brown.
- Slice avocados lengthwise and remove the pit. Using a spoon, cut an internal perimeter in the avocado halve, leaving some of the flesh attached to the skin. Scoop out the center perimeter and chop. Set the hallowed shells to the side.
- In a large bowl combine quinoa, sausage, sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, feta and stir until complete mixed. Lightly toss in the chopped avocado, tossing gently if you want them to maintain their shape. Scoop the mixture into the hallowed shells and sprinkle parmesan across the top.
- Place in oven to allow cheese to melt, approximately 10 minutes. Serve warm.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.
**The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.