A Household Divided
Kenneth and I fought it out in the kitchen today. We took over @aspiretv’s IGTV for the #BattleoftheBytes and competed for the best appetizer. This house was divided as I hit him with a one-two-punch with my Jerk Chicken Lettuce Wraps. Imagine ground chicken smothered in a jerk honey glaze and topped with mango salsa and cilantro crema. This power punch appetizer hit all the palette points with spicy, sweet, tart, crunchy and creamy.
Kenneth attempted to fight back with his Oxtail Quesadillas and I’m not gonna lie, that combo of boursin cheese and oaxaca cheese against the oxtails drenched creole red gravy made for a formidable opponent but I do believe that I one the crown. I just need to hear them tell me I’m Da Champ!
And if you want to watch the video of our battle you can watch in at the link here.
Plate🍽 by @sparkleandsoul
What makes jerk chicken jerk?
Let me start by saying anything can be jerked. Seafood, Pork, Beef, Chicken, anything. What makes it Jerk is the delicious spices that the meat is seasoned with. Jerk spices are a staple in Jamaica and consist of various flavors, including allspice and scotch bonnet peppers. If you’d like to make homemade jerk flavor, check out my jerk marinade recipe: https://meikoandthedish.com/jerk-marinade/.
What other kinds of lettuce can you use for lettuce wraps?
There are so many different types of lettuce out there, but virtually any leafy green would work, whichever you prefer. There’s romaine, butter lettuce, cabbage, and iceberg, just to name a few.
How do you keep lettuce wraps crisp?
If you’d like to make your lettuce wraps in advance, I’d suggest not assembling them until you are ready to serve. To keep your lettuce crisp until you are prepared to eat, you’ll need to store them in the refrigerator, either in the crisper or vegetable drawer if you have one, or wrap them in foil. You can even refrigerate them in an airtight container with paper towels between each slice to absorb the moisture.
- 2 mangos chopped medium
- ¼ red onion chopped small
- ½ jalapeno chopped small
- 3 sprigs cilantro chopped fine
- 1 lime juiced
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup crema
- 1 teaspoon cilantro paste
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Salt to taste
- ⅓ cup honey
- ¼ cup jerk paste I used Walkerswood
- 1 lb ground chicken
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcester sauce
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
To Make Mango Salsa
- In a bowl add the mangos, red onion, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice, and kosher salt, mix together and place in the refrigerator until fish is ready.
To Make Cilantro Crema
- Whisk crema, cilantro paste, and lime juice in a bowl until combined. Add salt to taste.
To Make Jerk Glaze
- Whisk jerk paste & honey into a bowl until combined.
- To make chicken filling:
- In a pan on medium-high heat add ground chicken, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and , and brown. When done stir in ¼ cup of jerk glaze.
To Assemble Lettuce Wraps
- Assemble by starting with 1-2 leaves of lettuce add 2-3 tablespoons of ground chicken and top with cilantro crema, mango salsa and additional jerk glaze..
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate.
**The equipment section above contains affiliate links to products I use and love. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.